No matter which industry you’re in, from aerospace and medtech to high-tech and space exploration, the pressure to bring your innovation to market the fastest is red hot. Entering a new market time- and cost-efficiently often puts you at a competitive advantage and helps seed your position as an industry leader, making speed a chief driver of your success.
In this post, we’ll explain the importance of rapid prototyping during research and development (R&D) and how it can help you cross the finish line first.
What is rapid prototyping?
Rapid prototyping is one of the most reliable ways to expedite your time to market. It’s as important as having access to dedicated R&D resources and resolving manufacturing feasibility uncertainties early in the R&D process. As the term implies, rapid prototyping relies on highly sophisticated technologies like CAD, CNC machining, casting, and 3D printing (additive manufacturing) to convert your engineering drawings into prototypes – rapidly.
Rapid prototypes can be low-fidelity or high-fidelity, depending on your R&D stage and the level of accuracy you need to achieve. Low-fidelity prototypes are simple and cost-effective solutions that allow you to test the broad concept of your innovation. In contrast, high-fidelity prototypes are more complex and look and function closer to the final part.
Why is rapid prototyping important?
Rapid prototyping is essential when speed to market is your goal because it helps streamline the new product development process by allowing you to:
- Validate early-stage designs and concepts for form, fit, and function
- Perform functionality testing against the concept objectives and part specifications
- Provide colleagues, end-users, and stakeholders with a hands-on user experience for faster feedback loops
- Evaluate human factors and ergonomics for optimal assembly and usage
- Sharpen the part design and manufacturing process before diving into full production when modifications can be costly
- Verify that the final parts satisfy your technical and application requirements and business objectives
Benefits of rapid prototyping
Rapid prototyping is a manufacturing tool to help you go to market faster than your competitors. However, there are many other advantages, including:
- Less time spent on design and development
- Lower product development and testing costs
- Reduced or eliminated risks of failure
- Expedited pathway to full production
- Dependable due diligence solution, even for tight product launch schedules
- Peace of mind that your parts will look and perform as designed
Rapid prototyping is a time- and cost-effective R&D process that can pay dividends in the long run, helping you bring your innovation to life on time and within budget.
Is rapid prototyping right for you?
Rapid prototyping is an ideal R&D tool for many components, including bearings, housings, guidewires, hypotubes, mass spectrometry quadrupoles, and motor shafts. It’s even a viable option for demanding manufacturing projects with:
- Ultra-tight tolerances
- Complex designs
- Multiple parts
- Multiple or difficult materials
- High-use functions
- Tight production timelines
We are an ISO 13485:2016, 9001:2015, and AS9100D certified full-service component manufacturer of mission-critical components for the aerospace, medtech, defense, high-tech, and space exploration industries. Leveraging a combined 100-year history of leading-edge precision machining and centerless grinding capabilities, we are your qualified source for rapid prototyping and other dedicated R&D resources under one roof. Our exceptional perseverance, high-precision skills, and in-depth knowledge of our craft can quickly take your project from prototype to volume production so that you can get to market faster.
Contact our team to learn more about our rapid prototyping capabilities that can help you expedite the completion of your next innovation.